Film Festivals with Smithsonian
Film buffs may have admired Dorothy's ruby red slippers at the National Museum of American History or examined an early motion picture camera at the Air and Space Museum. Now we extend an insider's pass to world-famous film festivals, where you can experience the excitement of the silver screen and consider new releases with a true connoisseur.
2023 Offerings (scroll down for more details)
Starting at: $5,590
Sep 4 - 9, 2024
- Special Festival Pass: Equipped with a coveted Festival badge, you’ll be able to join industry professionals to view films from the “Official Competition” as well as those by lesser-known filmmakers in the Un Certain Regard competition. Watch directors introduce their short films, and hear from an actor, director, or producer about a newly restored Cannes Classic.
- Restricted Access Areas: Visit the Film Market where the business of film is conducted and tour the International Village along the waterfront, possible only through your Festival badge.
- Private Reception: Experience the festivity of a private reception exclusively for Smithsonian Journeys travelers at the American Pavilion.
- Morning Briefings: Attend briefings with your Smithsonian Journeys Expert to learn what goes on behind the scenes, discuss the previous day’s films, and hear suggestions for other screenings.
"This was a once in a lifetime experience...I am very grateful to have had this wonderful opportunity." - Lorraine M.
- Privileged Access: Attend the world’s oldest film festival with a Venice Film Festival Industry Gold Pass (IG Pass), a priority all-access pass. Enjoy film premieres on the Lido, as well as viewings of major classics previously shown in Venice, plus preview screenings and press events.
- Well-located Accommodations: Stay in an elegant 19th-century palazzo just across from the Gothic Church of San Zaccaria, a five-minute walk from the Piazza San Marco and even less from the vaporetto (water bus) that brings you to the festival events at the Lido.
- Italian Cuisine: Savor Venetian food and local wine as you discuss the films of the day with fellow travelers and your Smithsonian Journeys expert.
- Costume Designer Workshop: Step backstage at a renowned atelier where intricate period costumes are crafted for film and stage. Meet the costume designer and hear his tales from more than 30 years in the industry.
- Festive Farewell: Enjoy a unique farewell dinner at a private palace on the Grand Canal.
- Special Access: Receive a personalized industry pass, usually reserved for film professionals, allowing you to access Press and Industry screenings as well as special events and gala presentations.
- Insider Perspective: Gain insights into the film industry, the Festival, and the featured films during exclusive talks with your Smithsonian Journeys Expert, an independent film afficionado, as well as guest lecturers.
- Deluxe Accommodation: Stay five nights at the stylish InterContinental Toronto Centre, centrally located just steps from the CN Tower and within walking distance of the Festival theatres.
- Festive Farewell Dinner: Toast your TIFF experience at a popular Toronto restaurant on your final night.