Smithsonian at the Spoleto Festival
Experience an exciting variety of world-class music, opera, and theater performances at Charleston's Spoleto Festival USA.
WHAT OUR TRAVELERS SAY
This tour has been exceptionally wonderful and far surpassed the tour description! The Spoleto events were fabulous and exciting... The entire trip was wondrous and exceptionally planned to delight and bring pleasure.”
I have often wanted to attend Spoleto. Smithsonian made it easy and more rewarding.”
- Smithsonian Travelers Discover Machu Picchu's Sacred Spaces
- A Tailor-Made Journey to India and Nepal
- The Forbidden City: Official Spaces and Private Quarters
- Journey from Bangkok to Bali: Following the Spirits
Experience an exciting variety of world-class music, opera, dance, and theater performances at Charleston’s Spoleto Festival USA. During this popular performing arts program, enjoy prime seating for six of Spoleto’s top events along with presentations by a Smithsonian Journeys Expert. Plus, see the charming historic city of Charleston!
- Performances: Although performance selections won’t be announced until January, past performances have included Shakespearean plays, baroque opera, exhilarating acrobatic spectacles, and a performance of Vietnamese water puppetry, plus the joyous sounds of Spoleto’s Chamber Music series and the exquisite voices of the Westminster Choir.
- Special Access: Attend exclusive VIP lectures and meetings with Spoleto Festival staff, including General Director Nigel Redden.
- Charleston: Enjoy the city of Charleston during a horse-drawn carriage ride through the city center, famous for its graceful, unique architecture, and take an excursion to Boone Hall, one of America’s oldest plantations. You’ll also dine at some of the city’s famed restaurants, including the Charleston Grille, and stay at the historic Mills House Hotel.
Please Note: Full performance details will be available in January 2016.
Day 1 — Welcome & First Performance
Individual arrivals at The Mills House Hotel in Charleston. Gather for a welcome reception with your Smithsonian Journeys Expert Stan Engebretson. Enjoy a festive welcome dinner then depart the hotel for your first performance. (R,D)
Day 2 — Morning and Evening Performances
Enjoy a presentation by Stan Engebretson preparing you for the day’s events. Attend a stirring performance of Spoleto’s annual Chamber Music Series then enjoy a festive lunch at Magnolia Café. The remainder of your afternoon will be at leisure. After dinner independently gather in the hotel lobby and depart for your evening event. (B,L)
Day 3 — Boone Hall Plantation Tour & Evening Performance
Depart the hotel for Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina. One of America's oldest working and living plantations, they have been continuously growing and producing crops for over three centuries. Enjoy a guided tour of the mansion and gardens. Afterwards, there will be a picnic lunch. This evening attend a Spoleto performance. (B,L)
Day 4 — Charleston Carriage Tour with Afternoon and Evening Performances
Take a narrated carriage ride through historic Charleston in the morning then return to the hotel for a presentation by Stan Engebretson. In the afternoon enjoy a special performance and return to refresh at the hotel. This evening depart for a spellbinding evening performance at Spoleto. (B)
Day 5 — Charleston Grill & Final Performance
Enjoy a presentation by Stan Engebretson. This afternoon will be at leisure then enjoy your farewell dinner at Charleston Grill. Afterwards attend your final performance. (B,D)
Day 6 — Depart for Home
Enjoy breakfast before individual departures from the hotel. (B)