Mystery Lover's England
Featuring the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival
Enjoy the International Harrogate Crime Writing Festival and take a trip through modern-day London to visit the landscapes that inspired Sherlock Holmes.
WHAT OUR TRAVELERS SAY
This is my second mystery tour, and it was absolutely amazing. I came away with new favorite authors, wonderful memories and new friends who share my mystery addiction!”
The tour was excellent, and the trio of ladies who led us are also excellent. Actually seeing where authors have located their stories makes reading the mysteries more enjoyable, adds another dimension to the story.”
You can't see it all on one or even two trips so having knowledgeable leaders and an overall theme provided focus and made the selection of sights and cultural experiences relevant. We saw sights and gained insights that you just don't get on the average sightseeing tour. There was not a single "ok, that's nice" moment.”
If you like to learn and have fun at the same time, take a Smithsonian tour.”
- A Tailor-Made Journey to India and Nepal
- The Forbidden City: Official Spaces and Private Quarters
- Journey from Bangkok to Bali: Following the Spirits
- Haydn Seek
A lonely moor enveloped in fog. A train carrying passengers with a deadly secret. A tense courtroom awaiting a verdict. This year, join your expert, Ros Hutchinson, for the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival. Dive head-first into the world of murder and mayhem as you enjoy this international festival, which has hosted famous novelists such as JK Rowling (writing as Robert Galbraith), Patricia Cornwell, and Michael Connelly, just to name a few. Then, end your trip with two days in London, where you will be immersed in a crime lover’s staple – the world of Detective Sherlock Holmes. Visit the Sherlock Holmes museum at 221 B Baker Street, and visit the sites associated with the BBC’s hit production of the classic detective duo.
- Harrogate Crime Writing Festival: Participate in this crime writing tradition, and join with thousands of other mystery lovers at this incredible festival. Enjoy panels and special guest conversations, late-night debates featuring your favorite crime novels, and signings with famous mystery writers. This one-of-a-kind event brings together like-minded readers from all over the world to create a truly memorable experience.
- Sherlock Holmes’ London: Take a trip through the streets of modern-day London and explore the past, present, and future of this unstoppable crime-fighting duo. From the home of this famous novelist to the home of his hero, visit the Sherlock sites that have become integral to the city, go behind the scenes with people involved in the making of the BBC’s hit series, and find yourself immersed in this story like never before.
Days 1 & 2 — Depart the U.S. for Manchester, England
Arrive in Manchester and transfer to your hotel in Harrogate. Gather tonight for a welcome reception and dinner. (R,D)
Days 3 & 4 — The Harrogate Crime Writing Festival
Today, explore the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival to your heart’s content. With your ticket, you’ll be able to enjoy access to all Festival events throughout the day, including signings, panels, and exhibits. You’ll also be able to enjoy lunch at the Old Swan Hotel and an official festival goody bag.
As the second day of the festival draws to a close, gather for the exclusive Author Mystery Dinner event. Enjoy a few courses of fine dining served with a heaping side of intrigue, murder, and mystery. (2B,2L,D)
Day 5 — Oxford with Inspector Lewis
After breakfast, transfer to Oxford. Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant before embarking on a two-hour walking tour of the city, focusing on famous Inspector Lewis sites. Follow in the footsteps of this great detective as you explore this dazzling city. Then, continue to London for an evening of leisure. (B,L,D)
Day 6 — Sherlock's London
Following breakfast, spend the morning in the world of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Explore the Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221b Baker Street, where you’ll enjoy a talk by the museum’s curator. Then, enjoy a private talk with a special guest (TBA) who will discuss the ins and outs of the hit BBC series, Sherlock. Tonight, gather for a farewell dinner at the Criterion restaurant in London. (B,D)
Day 7 — Depart for U.S.
Following breakfast, transfer to the airport for individual flights back to the U.S. (B)