Costa Rica's Natural Treasures
Discover exotic flora and fauna as you traverse treetop bridges, float along the Tempisque River, trek to a volcano, and take guided walks at Monteverde's biological reserve.
WHAT OUR TRAVELERS SAY
What are you waiting for? Go now!”
This was an exceptional first time tour group experience. Smithsonian gets an A+ for combining learning and fun as a way to see new lands.”
The diverse perspectives and knowledge shared by and with the fellow travelers makes each trip unique, special, and memorable in ways words cannot express.”
- The Battle of the Bulge: The Greatest American Battle of WWII
- Discovering Vietnam Through Waterways
- Monkeys, Monkeys, and More Monkeys
- Calling All Downton Abbey Fans!
Tortuguero National Park
4 days/3 nights
Encounter exceptional bio-diversity, from rain forest to marsh, where fresh water meets the sea to form canals, lagoons, and wetlands, and also to provide an important turtle nesting reserve. An ecological tour de force!
Your tour extension price includes:
- Round-trip transfers San Jose/Tortuguero by van and boat
- 3 nights’ accommodations: 2 nights in Tortuguero National Park at Pachira Lodge (First Class); 1 night in San Jose at Doubletree by Hilton Cariari (Superior First Class)
- 8 meals: 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners
- Included sightseeing: Tortuguero town and Caribbean Conservation Center; two boat safaris along the Tortuguero canals
- Services of expert staff and guides at Pachira Lodge
Jan-Mar 2015 departures only
Pachira Lodge stands surrounded by a series of canals that nourish the area’s rich flora and fauna population. The 88-room lodge offers a buffet-style restaurant and bar, sauna, spa, and outdoor pool. Each guest room includes a private bath and ceiling fan. The rooms are not air-conditioned.
Nov 2015-Mar 2016 departures
More details TBA.
Doubletree by Hilton Cariari
Surrounded by lush gardens, the 222-room DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari features colonial-style hacienda architecture with wood furnishings and local artwork. This sustainable hotel offers two restaurants and two bars, casino, fitness center, unheated outdoor pool, laundry service, beauty salon, gift shop, and complimentary Wi-Fi internet access. Air-conditioned guest rooms feature private bath with hair dryer, in-room safe, coffee-making facilities, ironing facilities, Wi-Fi internet access (surcharge), TV, and phone.
Note on accommodations in Costa Rica:
Your accommodations in Tortuguero will be at an environmentally compatible lodge that is comfortable but not luxurious. Although you may not have air-conditioning, television, or telephones in your room, most travelers find the accommodations to be an excellent complement with the natural environment.