Smithsonian at Chautauqua
Our Search for Another Earth
Nestled along picturesque Lake Chautauqua, join us for a thought-provoking week offering in-depth discussions on our continued quest for evidence of life in the Universe.
WHAT OUR TRAVELERS SAY
Chautauqua is unique and Smithsonian programs exploit all of its wonderful opportunities.”
- Smithsonian Travelers Discover Machu Picchu's Sacred Spaces
- A Tailor-Made Journey to India and Nepal
- The Forbidden City: Official Spaces and Private Quarters
- Journey from Bangkok to Bali: Following the Spirits
Nestled along sparkling Lake Chautauqua in southwestern New York, the Chautauqua Institution is a unique community that evokes the friendliness and charm of a bygone era. With an astonishing array of programs clustered around specific “theme weeks,” Chautauqua has become a renowned summertime destination and a center for lifelong educational pursuits. Join us on this popular program for a thought-provoking week as you explore the intricacies of space exploration and its possible effects on humanity.
- Engaging Discussions: Attend the Main Stage scholar lecture series and listen to thought leaders in astronomy and science discuss what it would mean to find another planet that could support life somewhere in the vast universe. Plus, enjoy daily in-depth presentations by your Smithsonian Journeys Expert.
- Performances: Immerse yourself in Chautauqua’s opera, theater, and music performances. Selected event tickets are included, and there are planned activities to choose from every day!
- Historic Hotel: Stay at the Hotel Athenaeum, featuring all meals, comfortable accommodations, and sweeping views of Lake Chautauqua.
Overview of your week at Chautauqua — July 16-July 23, 2016
Each morning gather for a full breakfast buffet. Then take your morning coffee out to the majestic front porch of the Hotel Athenaeum for sweeping views of Lake Chautauqua. After breakfast, attend daily private lectures with Michelle Thaller. Dr. Thaller will offer in-depth discussions on the history of the universe; from the small and large scale exploration within our solar system to the countdown to a new age and the search for life on other worlds, exploring the moral quandaries that would face humanity and the implications for life on earth. Each day, enjoy a sumptuous lunch followed by an afternoon to explore Chautauqua on your own (a full program of activities will be provided). Gather in the evening for lively conversation and a festive dinner, followed by evening performances and activities. Limited to 34 Smithsonian Journeys guests. (Each day: B,L,D)